Shanghai

Shanghai

Monday, January 17, 2011

Cloth Market

Okay, it's been over a week since I posted something. I've been busy with trying new exercise activities and getting caught up on submitting medical claims! Mondays I have tennis lessons for 1 1/2 hours which I badly need. My forehand is awful! I enjoy spinning classes on Mondays and Fridays. Power Yoga is something I am still thinking about it. I have to give it a try for a couple more classes. Body Jam is down right hilarious. I just have no coordination but it is fun and something definately different for me. So if I am not physically fit in the next year, I don't know what it will take! I have met some nice women in the classes. I actually met one from Neuchatel! She has been here for 4 years. It is definately a small world we live in.
So, since Jason is busy during the week with work and me with exercise, we have been doing some shopping on the weekends. I have been wanting some new bedding for the boys beds and our "ayi" said the stores are too expensive and cheaply made. So we headed to the cloth market.
It is 3 stories of just little stalls with tons of fabric and an average of 2 girls sitting at sewing machines to make your bedding. The above picture doesn't show all the people and cars on the outside. It was a nightmare. That picture must have been taken in the early morning. I had forgotten to take pictures so we borrowed some off the internet. Jason, Jin Di (ayi) and I just walked and walked until I finally decided to stop and negotiate. It is so funny because the firt price is very reasonable but actually you shouldn't really pay more than 1/2 of the original price. I just offer 1/2 and go up from there.
I have confirmed that I do not like to negotiate. I love a good bargain but I don't want to have to work for it. I would rather just stumble upon it. We did leave the market with 2 bedding sets for under $75 with really good quality material. Jason was happy with this choice. (like he had any say in the matter:)) It is something very different for me and I have been real pleased with it.

I should note that the bedding (duvet cover, sheet and 6 pillowcases) were ready in an hour! It will be fun for me to go back once my sewing machine arrives. They have an area that just sells material for the home which I want to make some different things for the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment