Shanghai

Shanghai

Monday, January 17, 2011

Mall & Flower Market

This past weekend we hit the closest mall which is like a Super Walmart inside a shopping mall with a couple of big stores right next door. There is a B&Q (a Home Depot) and then Decathalon (Sports Authority). We were in need of a little bit of everything and this was the place to be. The sports store is reasonably priced and it has its own brand. We were able to find everything sports related that we needed. Lucas needed black dress shoes. We weren't able to find any that fit him well at the shoe stores so we ended up buying them at Carrefour (Super Walmart). They had a huge selection and reasonably priced. We'll see how well they hold up. The thing I hate is that in certain parts of the store you have to pay for the items in that department. It is a hassle especially when there is only 1 person to check out. We also had to get a pair of eyeglasses for Kate. Now I have read that eyewear is cheap but we didn't find that to be the case. I guess for Kate, since she has a big prescription in one lense, it was what we would pay at a discount back in the states. However, I feel if there are any problems, we won't have any trouble getting help from the store. For us, service is worth so much here! I'll try and take pictures some time and just do a blog about the mall. I guess I get a bit paranoid about taking pictures at certain places. We get quite a few stares as it is and if I pulled out a camera, I know it would be worse.

The kids had enough of shopping on Saturday. Jason & I wanted to go to the flower market but we decided to go first thing Sunday morning when it should not be busy. The kids had no interest in going to this market. Jason had bought me the orchids for Christmas at a flower shop close by.

I wanted to see exactly what the market was like. I had bought the cactus and plants at a store the previous day. I really liked the cactus but I didn't like the pot it was in. So they put it in a pot that I liked and delivered the next day. We had given him our address and said it was too far away (15 minutes by car). He decided to charge us an extra $6 for gas. I was happy to hear he had a truck. I had purchased 2 plants from the flower shop and they had delivered those by bicycle. I just love having plants in the house!
The actual flower market was smaller than I thought it would be. We chose a good day to go because it wasn't crowded. We enjoyed walking around to see what they had. They had everything from fresh cut flowers, orchids, trees, furniture, pottery and paintings and stone carvings. We basically walked around to see how much things were so we could compare.
It has been very cold here. I don't think we have been above the low 30's for the past 2 weeks. If the wind is blowing, it is frigid! We didn't last long at the market and decided there wasn't anything we had to get. However, the weekend before we had found a little store by our house that had some miscellaneous items. Jason & I both saw this screen that we liked. After being at the flower market and comparing prices, we decided to go back and buy it. We didn't see anything similar to it and we both just loved it.
We haven't decided where we are going to put this screen. I think we'll just wait until we get our sea shipment which won't be for at least another month. It's nice having it in our living room to enjoy. We have had our fill of shopping for a while. Once it warms up, we'll start doing some sightseeing around town.

1 comment:

  1. I love your screen! It is so different. What a cool piece to have in your decore. I had lunch with Trish today, and she told me to tell you hello. I told her all about the cloth store you went to & the linens that you had made on the spot. She told me to tell you hi. I love reading your blog, because I feel like I am getting access to cultures I might never learn about otherwise. Very cool. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete